AFC Cup : 5 Things To Know About Mohun Bagan's Opponent Colombo FC
Mohun Bagan FC travel to Sri Lanka to take on Colombo FC in the first game of their AFC Cup campaign. They are scheduled to play on Tuesday the 31st of January, and are up against a side whom they have never faced before. The Indian outfit are the favourites in the tie, but from past experience, reputation hardly matters in international matches like these. Here are 5 things you should know about Colombo FC:
1. They were founded in 2008: Colombo FC are minnows when it comes to comparing histories, they were founded 119 years after their illustrious opponents. They have, however, made a Leicester City-like run in the local leagues, climbing from the Colombo Football League to winning the Dialog Champions League in a matter of years. They have also made it to the semi-finals of the Sri Lankan FA Cup.
2. They have revamped their squad: Prior to this game, Colombo FC have made some drastic changes to their squad. As many as eight new players have come in, as they look to make a positive impression in their first AFC Cup campaign.
3. They are nicknamed “Yellow Submarines” ala Spanish club Villareal due to the colour of their home kit.
4. They will play at a massive stadium: Colombo FC are a professionally run club and play at the Racecourse Sports Complex, which has a capacity of 40,000 and is one of the biggest stadiums in the island nation. One can expect that the local team will get a vociferous support which could turn out to be a key factor in deciding the result of the tie.
5. They are in poor form at the moment: Despite lifting the top-tier title last week, Colombo FC have hit a bad patch this season. They have had a torrid time making it to the last eight in the championship play offs, but have since regained some form and they beat fierce rivals Army SC 2-1 in their last game to go on top of the table after the end of three rounds.
Players to Watch Out
Momas Yapo and Zarwan Johar could cause the most damage to Mohun Bagan, who will be missing the services of the mercurial Sony Norde tomorrow. The former can play as both a box-to-box midfielder or a deep-lying playmaker, while the latter plays out wide in the wings and is blessed with electric pace and vision. Yapo is also extremely good in dead ball situations, while a hitherto untested Bagan defence could face real trouble if Johar is in the mood. Under Mohammed Roomy Hasan, these two along with the likes of Nagur Meena and former Dempo SC player EB Channa can pose a lot of trouble to the 2015 I League winners.
While speaking to thepapare.com, manager Hasan said,”This is a good opportunity for us to show our standard so we hope to play the tournament in good manner and give a good fight. We have a good mix of veterans and young players in the team and this will be a good opportunity for everyone. We are underdogs but we are determined to win this match.”
COLOMBO FC SQUAD:
GOALKEEPERS: 1. Mohamed Nazeer Imran, 40. Prabath Ruwan Arunasiri, 41. Ashik Mohamed.
DEFENDERS: 4. Charitha Rathnayake, 8. Vikum Kumarasiri, 13. Siraj Mohamed, 15. Nasiru Opayemi, 17. Mohamed Mufees, 19. Afeel Mohamed, 24. David Osagie, 26. Chalana Chameera, 28. Mohamed Shifan.
MIDFIELDERS: 2. Momas Yapo, 6. Nagur Meera, 7. Tuan Rizni, 9. Niran Kanishka, 12. Mohamed Rifnaz, 14. Rawme Mohideen [Captain].
FORWARDS: 10. Zarwan Johar, 16. Ediri Bandanage Channa, 20. Afis Olayemi, 21. Dilan Kaushalya, 23. Danushka Madushanka, 27. Shafran Sathar, 30. Moahmed Issadeen.